Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Challenge - 2011

Welcome to my first post!  The whole purpose of my blog is to help me live up to my goal for 2011 - become a competent home cook.  Not a big ask for many, and most people my age (newly 28) would already be reasonably competent home cooks, but not me.  My excuse?  I spent three years living on my own and working long hours, so my trusty George Foreman grill and microwavable bags of veges became my staple kitchen items.  Occasionally my self-taught twin sister took pity, delivering delicious meals to me, for which I am STILL grateful.   After that, I moved in with my now-husband, who is an amazing home cook (perhaps because his father is a chef?) and has spoilt me for years, preparing every meal.  Over time I've spent less and less time in the kitchen, and when I do it's only to prepare tried and tested staples that I could make with my eyes shut.  Or toast.  Mostly toast.

In December I went to a cooking class with a close friend to learn how to make pasta.  I had an amazing day, and with the help of my husband, father-in-law and my sister, have resolved (even though I never make New Year's Resolutions) to get more active in the kitchen, learn to cook myself instead of relying on my husband to cook for me, and generally learn a new skill.  Perhaps that's why I scored four cookbooks for Christmas....

This blog will be my record of my attempts, failings and successes, to keep me motivated, and keep me learning!

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment