Sunday, January 2, 2011

Baked Eggs

One of the cookbooks I received for Christmas is Serge Dansereau's French Kitchen.  I'm loving leafing through the book, seeing the beautiful photo's, and Serge's comments on the recipes.  Many of the recipes seem just about the right level for a Wannabe Cook - there's no enormous lists of ingredients and so far, no tedious, long-winded instructions that take hours.  Perfect!  Plus it's a reminder of the wonderful food we ate in France on our honeymoon not that long ago.

This morning I decided to try out one of Serge's breakfast recipes for baked eggs.  It was an amazing success - the recipe was incredibly simple and straightforward and I thought my version came out of the oven looking very much like Serge's photo's.  A great start to my new goal!




I started with some two day old bread rolls and hollowed them out carefully.  Then I brushed the insides with melted butter.


Then I cracked an egg into each roll.  I hadn't hollowed them out quite enough to fit in two whole eggs, so I popped in an egg yolk (thank goodness I can separate eggs!).


The recipe said to add a slice of butter to the top of each egg yolk... but I used Mersey Valley Cheddar instead.  I love cheese!


Voila!  It took about 20 minutes to bake the bread rolls until the eggs were cooked - ten minutes longer than the recipe advised, but that's because of our dodgy old oven.

And the moment of truth!  Cutting the bread roll opened revealed beautiful soft eggs - these babies were like soft-boiled eggs (or dippy eggs I grew up calling them) but the grown up version.  I WILL be making this again!

1 comment: